Mad Legger is the Gold Coast Furniture Leg Specialist. They are located in Nerang on the Gold Coast and ship their products Australia wide.
We’ve built a fair few wood DIY projects over the years, including fencing, dog houses, and tables. We were recently asked to take a look at some Hairpin Legs. Our first reaction was what are hairpin legs and what would we do with them.
After a better look, I realised that this was taking me back to my design and technology classes in senior year. I kind of wish we had access to these type of legs back then.
There are a few styles of hairpin legs out there. The main two styles are a straight hairpin leg and the curved U shape hairpin leg. They are available in lengths of 25.4cm, 45.7cm and 71cm depending on the height requirement of the furniture you are building.
What we received was a set of 4x straight, 71cm, 3 prong, 12mm diameter steel rod hairpin legs. We’re impressed with the quality and weight of these hairpin legs. The welded join marks are clean and it makes for a very professional product.
We were so excited that we snapped a view close up images of the hairpin legs for you to see.
You can buy these hairpin legs straight from https://madlegger.com.au/products/hairpin-legs-rubber-tips
Our DIY Table
We’ve set out to build our table using the Mad Legger Hairpin Legs
- 4x 710mm Hairpin Legs from Mad Legger
- 5x 2000mm x 250mm x 50mm (LxWxH) of your choice of hard wood
- Packet 25x 25mm Wood Screws
- 2L Varnish from Bunnings
- Porta 9.5mm x 1.2m Tasmanian Oak Dowel
- Wood Glue
- Purchase your 710mm Hairpin Legs from Mad Legger https://madlegger.com.au/products/hairpin-legs-rubber-tips
- Visit your local Bunnings Hardware Store
- Pick out your choice of wood, we prefer a hardwood. (make sure you check that the wood is flat with no bows)
- Have your wood cut to length at Bunnings
- Drill 8 evenly spaced holes 9mm in width along the inside of the 2 outer planks of wood
- Drill 8 evenly spaced holes 9mm in width along both sides of 3 planks of wood
- Cut dow to size, insert some glue into the dow holes and tap dow in with a hammer
- Repeat until all planks are now joined together
- Allow your table top to dry for at least 4 hours
- Sand table top and edges
- Flip the table over and screw in Hairpin Legs
- Lightly sand the table top once standing on legs
- Rub with a clean dry cloth to remove any excess dust
- Varnish table top and allow to dry for 12 hours
Close up photos of the Hairpin Legs
Address: Nerang, Gold Coast, QLD 4211